Bagavather His Life and Times

Bagavather His Life and Times

Monday, May 31, 2010

NEWLY PUBLISHED!

Hello Friends !!
I have written and just published a biography on M K Thyagaraja Bagavather in English. 

It is a result of research that I undertook over a few years and I am happy that I was able to release it on 15th May 2010. 2010 is the year in which Bagavather's 100th birthday fell on 1st March. But it is a Birth Centenary Release more by coincidence as I had planned to finish and publish it much earlier than recently.

The book is about 540 pages long (including the Preface pages) and has a collection of information and photos hitherto not collected in one place. It has a nearly 200 pages section on the most sensational murder trial witnessed by Madras, as it was then called, till date, the Lakshmikanthan Murder Case.

About Bagavather himself, I have presented ample material to bring out the different facets of his personality. I have used sources from that period and  quoted references from many magazines and books from the respective years of his life itself to ensure the authenticity of the material I have presented. I have tried my best to ensure authenticity even in minute details. For instance, I may refer to the spelling of his name.
M K Thyagaraja Bagavathar is the most common. But Bhagavathar or Bhagavatar are also variants that are often used. But from his signature, I figured out that he spells his name as 'Bagavather' and I thought it would be appropriate if I adopted that spelling. A couple of people asked me about it, so I thought I would mention it here.

The book is hardbound with full rexin binding and wrapper. It is priced at Rs. 495 and published by Mrs. Sumithra Balakrishnan, my mother. 

You can contact me by email for copies of the book:

catch.suresh@yahoo.com

Or you can write to me:

Mr Suresh Balakrishnan 
P.B.No. 2462
R A Puram
Chennai - 600 028
India 

Looking forward to talking more with you through this blog

People who have already read it, tell me how you like it...cheers

Suresh

7 comments:

  1. Dear Suresh,

    I have no words to express the liveliness of the book. I literally started living in the golden era of MKT when I went through the episodes in his life!

    What a humble beginning!
    What a glorious bloom!
    What a tragic turn!

    No wonder the word MKT Bagavather is still lingering and even teenagers are identifying him as the first superstar in Tamil film!

    Can we imagine the number of times the song "Manmadhaleelayai" that would have been in quoted in films since 1945 to 2010? Atleast a 100 times!

    This one is a must read biography to understand the personalities, culture, music and society of the early and mid 20th century South India.

    Kudos to you Suresh for selflessly bringing out the life of one of the glorious personalities in Indian Cinema and Music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Suresh Balakrishnan Sir,
    First of all congratulations on your success in publishing MKT Bagavather's biography...
    This is Kashyapmahesh, a classical vocalist / vis com student (III year)...

    I, an ardent admirer of Bagavather, have been following your works regarding the great singer
    for the past few years... your website, articles in magazines have much delighted me...
    You have indeed payed a great tribute to Bagavather on his centenary by publishing his biography...

    I am very much interested to get a copy of that book...Is that book available in Trichy...?
    if not, please advise me what should I do to get it as early as possible...

    Again I Salute you sir, for your inimitable work...expecting a quick reply...

    Musically Yours - Kashyapmahesh Raghunaathan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello sir
    My name also suresh Balakrishnan, it really super articals to known about our Super Star NKT cell 9965056268

    ReplyDelete
  4. நான் உங்கள் வயதை தெரிந்து கொள்ளலாமா ? பாகவதர் பற்றிய ஒரு கட்ட்டுரைக்கு தேவைப்படுகிறது.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear sir
    I am an ardent admirer of shri.bhagavather. So was my father who happened to be in Trichy while mkt was at his peak. Stories about that era from my father was on of my beautiful childhood memories. My interest in bhagavather brought me to your book. Would you be able to send me one hardbound edition via speed post? It seems that amazone has paperback version only.
    Looking forward to hearing from you
    Gopilrishna
    Sreevilas
    Anra b-14
    Aniyoor, chempazhanthy Po
    Trivandrum 695587
    Mobile:9388258334

    ReplyDelete
  6. It appear that this book is out of stock.
    Could you please make this book available in flipkart.com or amazon.in for onlinepurchase?

    ReplyDelete